Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Obligatory New Year's Post




My new year's resolution is to be a llama.

Let me explain.






















A couple days ago Mom and I were shopping for little on-sale Christmassy things at Target, and we were looking through the wrapping paper section when I saw something that stopped me in my tracks.

Llama wrapping paper.

We decided to buy it, and as we were trekking to the register Mom pointed out "You know this is really ugly, right?" to which I pointed out that attractiveness doesn't matter; it's llama wrapping paper.

Behold:

Llamas.

Llamas.

LLAMAS.

Fast forward to that evening. I'm sitting at adoration and going over the readings for January 1, 2017, the feast of Mary, Mother of God.

The first reading is from Numbers:

The LORD said to Moses: "Speak to Aaron and his sons and tell them: This is how you shall bless the Israelites. Say to them:
The LORD bless you and keep you!
The LORD let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!
The LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace!
So shall they invoke my name upon the Israelites, and I will bless them."
What does it mean for God to "keep" someone?

The first thing I think of when I hear the word "keep" is someone going shopping and thinking Oh, that [insert word here] looks cool; I think I'll keep it.

And then it hit me:

Llama wrapping paper is weird and unusual and kind of ugly depending on how you look at it. But I saw it among all the other wrapping paper tubes and said, "Let's keep it!"

Kind of like God making me and being like, "Wow, she turned out weird. But she's a keeper."

So my motivational new year's line for you is we are all llama wrapping paper.

And that's awesome.










2 comments:

Speak, friend, and comment!