Saturday, February 4, 2017

Random Things #5: A Poem and My Self-Imposed NaNoWriMo

Sherlock and Watson send their somewhat awkward respects.


Yes, it's been a while since I've posted anything. I've been scrambling to finish schoolwork, so on the weekends I've been wanting to relax instead of type. But the main reason is that I haven't had particular ideas for blogging. I feel like I've been cheating you guys with all these posts that, even when they aren't labeled "Random Things," are pretty all-over-the-place. That's because I like to type a quick draft, look it over, and send it out, rather than actually thinking about what I'm writing. 

After this one, I'm hoping to send out some more cohesive posts. These will likely range from book/movie/music reviews to thoughts on the universe to discussions of particular areas of life to guest posts, if anyone would like to do them! 

If you know me, you know that I hate commitments, so that's not a hard-and-fast promise. We'll see what happens.    :)

For now, behold, a poemish thing!

"Voices": A Poemish Thing


Each quaver represents a year
Each rise and fall calls to mind the paradox that those who fall will rise again
Like rings in the body of a tree, the vibrato reflects the age of the singer
A woman from days of elaborate curls and black and white,
A man from days of wheat and silence,
Share one thing: a voice
Aged and strident
Aged and beautiful


***
And behold, a writing thing:


NaNoWriMo…in February??? 


Yes, you read that right. I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo: The Slow Version this February and March. By March 31, I hope to have finished a spanking new 50,000 word first draft. (That deadline will very likely change. :P  You'll also notice there are a lot of "planning" and "hope"-like words in this post. I plan to do something about that soon...)

Why this insanity, you may ask?

One word: Boredom. I'm still planning a creative writing class for myself this semester, but slogging through short writing exercises doesn't compare to the joy and drive that I get from working on one cohesive story. Also, working on an overarching project helps my life in general. Especially in this dark, cold winter, I feel more meaning in life when I can be creative in this controlled way. 

Plus, I somehow came up with two detailed characters and a plot in the past few days. A PLOT, you guys! I am so excited about this. And it's not something super crazy like saving the entire planet, which are the plots that I usually come up with at the beginning of brainstorming. This plot is much more character-driven and closer to home. 

This more personal story is probably a result of the recent media I've consumed such as Hamilton, La La Land, and The Fault in Our Stars, which prove that even a small piece of a person's life contains huge dramatic potential. 

The title may still be subject to change, but that didn't stop me from making a cover as soon as I could. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a cover with "Art3mis Took" at the bottom. (Sure, call me a narcissist. I'm a writer; I can take my righteous umbrage out on fictional characters.)


Isn't it pretty?  ^_^

So far it's a fantasy romance. That's all I can tell you for now, since I found with my last story that if I share ideas with people before the book is finished, the ideas seem less cool to me. No offense.  :)



How's your winter going? Dark and cold? And if you're interested in writing a guest post,or if you have particular topics you'd like to see posts on, let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak, friend, and comment!