Saturday, December 3, 2016

The Career Post


Why am I including this Studio C meme in a post about careers, you ask? Well, it's one of the first things that came up when I looked up "studio c careers meme." Also, it illustrates the scary fact that grownups are just larger kids. 

At least that's what I've grown to think about getting older. Heck, I'm two years from technically being a grownup, and I have no more idea of what career I'm going to choose than I had when I was five. Actually I have less of an idea than when I was five, because back then I was very confident that I was going to be a "nun vet." (I wonder if there are actually nuns who are vets. That would be the bomb (or "thebomb.com," as a friend would say).

Are all you high schoolers out there stressing out about careers as much as I am? It's scary because there are so many choices out there, and what I study in college (which is NEXT YEAR, aaaaaaa!) will heavily influence the career path I take. And I have no idea what I want to study in college. 

There's the part of me that just wants a simple piano teaching job, or a job working in a bookstore or library, and then there's the part of me that is like Legolas and Dash and Alexander Hamilton all at
"There are a million things I haven't done, but just you wait..."
the same time, and says "Go get 'em! Impress everyone with your super specific college abilities and change the world! Write day and night like you're running out of time! HISTORY HAS ITS EYES ON YOU," etc.


Does anyone else have that same problem? It just seems like if I don't do something really big and epic like becoming part of the UN then my life will be wasted. Which I know could not be further from the truth; as Gandalf says, 

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

...and there's my internal existential debate of the day. Hope you enjoyed it. Let's move on to potential job choices (arranged in no particular order):

1. Piano teacher

I currently have five piano students. I enjoy some parts of teaching piano and it's very satisfying to see students progress, but it's also pretty stressful and it would be a lot of driving and logistics if I decided to do that full time. 

2. Librarian



Libraries are amazing. The quite atmosphere, the floating dust motes, the books everywhere you look. What is not amazing is all the PR work you have to do as a librarian. It looks like there's a lot of work done organizing activities and such, whereas I would rather just find books for people and talk about books. 

3. Schoolteacher

Schoolteaching like in When Calls the Heart looks pretty cool:


I wouldn't mind wearing outfits like that and falling in love with that guy on the left who is the most amazing guy in the world (which I am fully certified to claim even though I've only seen two episodes of the show).

And it has the same perk of piano teaching: you get to see students progress. And it would be nice to talk about my favorite topics--you guessed it, books. English. That sort of thing. 

But nowadays I feel like it would involve a lot of stress, too: dealing with problem children and the public school mentality that you can't involve morality in the classroom. A private school would be different though, but that brings in a whole slew of other issues such as internal gossip and limited subject opportunities.

4. Psychologist

The subject is interesting...but nope, not doing it.

5. Writer

The profession that probably wins the "most likely to get you broke" award. And I LOVE IT. It's so cool to be able to make money by creating characters and worlds out of your own head and selling them to people so they can experience the same things that you did while writing that story. I'm getting a little taste of this after NaNoWriMo, and I've realized that's one of the most enjoyable things in the world. 

Also, a writer follows in the footsteps of Tolkien and Lewis and Chesterton and all those amazing people. It's super epic. 

The problem with writing is the uncertainty. Am I even good enough to ever get published? What kind of class would I take, because creative writing classes seem to be so subjective? What would I do as a side job, or as a full job if writing didn't work out? 

6. Nun

Which isn't really a job; it's more a vocation. But I've been really considering whether I'm called to enter religious life or not. It's always been an attractive option and when I visited the Nashville Dominicans' convent with some friends about a year ago it was the most peaceful place I'd ever been to, and everyone was so joyful that it was contagious. 

I feel like nuns (or "sisters," in this case, since they're not cloistered) have a stigma attached to them of being boring and grouchy all the time. Some orders might be like that, but the Dominican Sisters and the Sisters of Life that I've met are fantastic and are so in love with God (and with life!) that it's really inspiring and it makes me want to be like that. And they help so many people, too! Dominicans in particular spend their time teaching, which as mentioned before is difficult but helpful for students especially if you can spread joy and peace to them.

So joyful!!!

But that can't really be decided by weighing pros and cons, it's more a matter of prayer and experience. So we'll see what happens. I'll be sure to warn you all before I go off and frolic in a convent.  ;)

7. Owner of a book shop in England

Always an option. My friend and I had a dream a few years ago that I would run the bookshop part and she would run the coffee shop part and we would share a flat. It would be, to quote the ninth Doctor, "Fantastic."

Never mind business expenses, the cost of moving overseas, or the trauma of never seeing friends or family again. Those don't compare with the book shop in England part...right?

8. Journalist

My whole "change the world" alter ego loves this profession. But my actual ego is kind of skeptical: will I ever have enough street smarts to be a good journalist? Will I have to report on boring stuff like veterinary clinic taxes? And will it be worth the pay, because according to my journalism teacher, the typical local newspaper journalist gets paid sometimes less than a McDonald's worker?

I guess you never know until you try. But "trying" means studying it in college, while there are so many other classes I want to study in college to...

***

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant at you about careers. That was fun, and hopefully it created a nice pros and cons sort of thing that I can look back at when I become a janitor for the rest of my life and I can look back at it thinking "Wow, such an ambitious young whippersnapper. I wonder what happened."

But it's the small deeds that make a difference, right? So to all you janitors out there, cheers. We appreciate you.

Are you stressing out about careers too? Do you have any particular ones in mind? 

6 comments:

  1. I like your ideas! A bookshop owner would be fun, except that people would want to buy things normal people read and I would just want to sell vintage copies of L. M. Montgomery.

    Nice Studio C meme. :) I love that sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll bet there are readers who would really like a book store full of vintage copies of Montgomery, especially among this side of the blogging community. You could totally have a book store that is a meet up for bookish bloggers. That would be a blast. ;D

      Delete
    2. That WOULD be a blast. Hmmm.

      Delete
  2. no im worried about more pressing matters... like my relationship status. jk no, yes i am. but i dont really want to do anything so i stopped thinking about it for a bit. i want to be a house wife. what am i saying. i want to be a fashion designer business owner single lady. forget it, i dont know what i want

    ReplyDelete
  3. and u look like that libry squid.

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!