Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Four Fictional Characters Tag

I have been tagged by the lovely Olivia to fill out the Four Fictional Characters Tag! (Thank you so much, by the way--this totally made my day.  :D)

Rules
1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. List four fictional characters (use pictures if you want! They can be from movies or books) and, if you like, describe what they're like and why you believe they relate to you
3. Tag a few other blog people! Three, or four, or even twenty. :) Share the fun!
Be sure to let them know you've tagged them! 

Characters
1. Eowyn (The Lord of the Rings)

Wow, I didn't realize how close I felt to this character until I started looking up quotes and pictures. 

Eowyn isn't the character I look up to the most from LotR (that would be Sam of course <3), but she's the one I relate to most closely. Her quote about a cage is exactly the way I feel after watching The Return of the King or any other deeply inspirational movie. As an INFP (the "idealist" type) I want to do something epic, like shield-surfing down stairs while shooting orcs and/or saving the galaxy. I have trouble seeing the mundanity of life as beautiful, and I can't stand schedules, so Eowyn's anger at being kept on the sidelines is very relatable for me.

She can also be cheerful and adorable when she feels like it, and I relate to her love for the hobbits. If I was around Merry and Pippin I would be constantly sobbing and/or laughing.  xD

2. Jim Hawkins (Treasure Planet)


Seriously, who doesn't like a rebellious teenage kid who rides a hoverboard through explosions? 

Also he cares a lot about Silver's adorable shapeshifter named Morph, and I am a huge dog person and to me Morph is like a tiny labrador retriever, so that is basically the fulfillment of all my cuteness dreams.

And finally, father figure stories tear me apart every time. The part that always gets me is the montage of Silver training Jim mixed with Jim's memories of his father abandoning him, all with John Rzeznik's ballad "I'm Still Here" playing in the background. It perfectly explains Jim's bitterness against authority, combined with his emerging hope that Silver won't leave him like his dad did. 

me while watching that part, every time

3. Marvin (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)


Marvin the Paranoid Android walks through this story poking holes in arguments and depressing everyone around him with his despondent attitude. He's a humorous depiction of me on a bad day, who believes that everyone hates me and life is pointless and the only sensible thing left to do is lie down and cry. 

Also he is voiced by Alan Rickman, who is fantabulous.

4. Sebastian (La La Land)



Sebastian is awkward and quiet until Mia touches on the topic that he is really enthusiastic about--jazz music. Then he gets almost frighteningly worked up. I can relate to that because I'm relatively quiet until someone mentions something that I care about, like music or books or movies or writing or religion. Then I often scare people with my enthusiasm.

Also Sebastian feels limited by having to worry about money. 

...which of course brings us to a twenty one pilots lyric.

Instead of playing real jazz piano he's forced to play boring Christmas music to an equally bored audience, something I've done a couple times for Christmas parties. It's lucrative, but not fulfilling at all. So as a fellow pianist I related to him instantly.

And finally, his past failures have left him with misgivings about the future, expressed beautifully in "City of Stars":


And as an incoming college freshman I could not be more concerned about the future.  xD

***

That was a lot of fun! Hopefully it didn't get to depressing there, hehe. 

Thanks again to Olivia for tagging me, and I would now like to tag Meredith, Jenny/Nimrodel, Fawnabelle BagginsM.J. Watson, and Mary Horton. If y'all happen to be reading this, of course.  :)



7 comments:

  1. I love Eowyn. :D She has some really awesome moments in the book and movies. That's awesome you relate to her.

    And Sebastian! I can totally see that. I like the line from the trailer where he says, "It's conflict and compromise and it's very, very exciting!" I can't even remember what the context for that quote is but the way he says it is me whenever I start discussing something I'm passionate about. Characters who get super excited about important-to-them subjects are my favorite. :)

    Thanks for tagging me! I will get to that shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that quote too! I believe that was when they were in the jazz club and he was telling her about the intricacies of jazz music. I can definitely see some of Sebastian in you too. :D

      Great! I look forward to seeing your answers. It's a fun tag.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that's right. :) Aww, that's a big compliment. xD

      Delete
  2. Oooh! I've always felt a strong kinship with Eowyn, too. Which is odd because normally I hate Fictional Females?? She's a rarity, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I usually don't like female characters much either, but Eowyn just has something about her...she is feminine, but not in a weak way. It's hard to describe.

      Delete
    2. Exactly!! Or, alternately, she is "strong" but not in a "I hate men" kind of way. :) Or... maybe she does hate men?? #cueexistentialcrisis

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing the tag, Art3mis! I really enjoyed reading your answers. :)

    Wow, really liked your thoughts on Eowyn. I feel that maybe she isn't talked about enough -- at least, not the way she should be talked about. You know? Like all we see is the whole, "I am no man" thing. And the Aragorn thing. But . . . there's more? Anyway, thanks for sharing! :)

    AAAGH I NEED TO WATCH TREASURE PLANET. I NEED TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. (Also, I'm totally stealing that gif.)

    Haha! I've never seen Hitchhiker's Guide, but that picture is fabulous! "Me on a bad day," << haha ;)

    And La La Land. Yes. That too must be watched.

    You really conveyed your thoughts really nicely, Art3mis; it was fun to read! :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!