Friday, June 30, 2017

First Blogiversary!

John Green is an incredible source of GIFs
Like a twenty one pilots concert, this post will start out angsty and hopefully become something full of ukulele and bright colors. So here we go.

Mushy Oscar Speech Part

Skip this if you want to read the stats, grab a piece of pizza, and go on with your day.


A lot of the time I feel like no one "gets" me, for many reasons but especially since so much of me is invested in stories and characters and quotes, and many people don't value those things in the same way I do so it's hard to connect.

Of course, I've learned over years of experience that stories are not everything, and if I only relate to someone because he/she likes the same things I do, the conversation shuts down eventually once we've made all the fandom references possible. 

But it is good to know that there are other people out there who invest as much as I do in stories (and much more, in fact). You guys inspire me to read and also to write, and to remember that it's okay to be different. 

All you great bloggers I've had the privilege to discover this year have driven home to me the fact that difference is beautiful. Some of you have minimalistic blog settings, and use lots of superhero gifs. Some of you have flowery backdrops and talk about period dramas. Some of you mix all of those things together, and some of you are just weird.  ;) 

Some of you are introverts. Some are extroverts. Some write detailed posts on Meyers-Briggs and some don't know what that is, or don't care. 

There are so many different kinds of people, and I don't think I had realized before how beautiful that is. 

So thank you all for being awesome in unapologetically different ways. You remind me that fitness buffs are just as interesting and important as Marvel buffs. 

Not that they necessarily have to be separate people.

Celebratory Review Part
Including screenshots of blog stats because these are necessary for posterity.

We've made it, everybody! Through a year of GIFs, ranting, reviewing, and awkwardness. 

(For nostalgia purposes I'd like to link back to my first post ever, published, of course, on June 30 of last year. *hugs little me*)

Looking back over the blog, I've changed a lot. At this time in 2016 I didn't know there was such a thing as a blogging community, I hadn't written any ukulele songs, I had not written a first draft of a novel (or even gotten close), I wasn't as comfortable with my writing voice, I'd never heard of VlogBrothers, I had not seen High School Musical, I had never listened to twenty one pilots, and I was relatively normal, well-adjusted and productive.

Most of these changes are thanks to you who have been reading this blog, commenting on the blog whether online or offline, and just plain making amazing stuff on the internet whether you know I exist or not.

And now here's what you all have been waiting for: statistics.

To whoever seems to be reading the blog regularly from France (and maybe Russia...
?), hi, and that is awesome that you are reading from so far away!

Interesting.


Anyway thanks again, guys, and it seems only fitting that I end with Martin Freeman drinking tea...in an endless loop.



Comment below if you have anything in particular you'd like me to write about this coming year. Or if you feel like telling me about one of your favorite childhood summer memories. :)





12 comments:

  1. Yay!! *flings confetti* :D

    YES that is why I love blogging. There are, apparently, a lot of people out there who also highly value storytelling in the way I (and you) do and it is so exciting to "meet" and connect with them through blogging.

    Hmmm something to write about this coming year... this isn't super specific but I always like reading your reflective posts about sort of popular views you don't agree with...does that make sense? Like the one in defense of La La Land or the one called "In Which I Rant About a Pinterest Post". :)

    I literally cannot produce an interesting childhood memory...except maybe starting my own blog but that was only two years ago so I don't know if it counts. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I'm glad you like the more reflective/argumentative posts. Those posts are also my favorite, so I'll definitely get on that for the coming year! If I come up with any more controversial opinions, that is. :)

      Hey, starting your blog is interesting! It is hard to think of childhood memories that are particularly exciting...well, one time I was using the stand-up mixer for the first time and I put flour in it and Mom told me to put it on a low setting first and I didn't pay attention so I put it straight to high and the flour flew everywhere. xD There's still a crinkly floury part of the cookbook at the recipe that I was trying to make.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Thank the stars that you were lead to High School Musical through the blogging world. How can one exist without that film? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I know, right?? (I actually really enjoyed it, hehe.) Technically I didn't watch it directly from blogging, but blogging got me into Pinterest (ah, the amazing time suck) and Pinterest, in turn, brought me to High School Musical. It is a vicious cycle. xD

      Delete
  3. Hi, there!! I'm pretty new around here, but so far I am really enjoying your blog!!! Happy first anniversary!!! Hope to get to know you better in the future! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Make yourself at home. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Blogiversary! I saw that you seconded my nomination of OreSeur for Strangest Character, and I thought I'd stop by, looking at your bio. Is your "allons-y" a Dr. Who homage, or do you study French, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once I saw that you had put OreSeur I just had to comment because he's such a great character in an underrated series. Have you read any more of Sanderson's works? And what did you think of the ending of the Mistborn series, by the way? I haven't gotten to hear many opinions on it because only one of my friends ever made it through.

      It's totally a Doctor Who reference. I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to have studied French. xD

      Delete
    2. I think you'll find it more esteemed in the general fantasy community, though I see too that among the flock of bloggers involved with these Awards and such the tendency is more toward YA and the very largest of adult fantasy series. I'm actually only several chapters into the second Mistborn book. I've read Steelheart and its sequels, Elantris, and his novellas "Emperor of the Soul," "Perfect State," "Sixth of the Dusk," "Legion," and "Legion: Skin Deep," plus his novelette "Firstborn." I'm a big fan of the Writing Excuses podcast, and I've listened to all of his BYU lectures available on YouTube.

      Ah, pity. I had four years of French in high school, and one of my undergrad majors is in French (after my professor and some friends talked me into upgrading from a minor).

      Delete
    3. Nice, that's a great collection of Sanderson reads. I've read all of those except for Elantris and Firstborn, and I've also read through the first two books of the Stormlight Archive and all the Mistborn books including the spinoffs. I couldn't get into Elantris, and I didn't know that "Firstborn" was a thing, so I'll go check that out. :) And yay, I thought I was the only one who'd listened to all his BYU lectures! He's a great teacher. And Writing Excuses is awesome.

      Good for you! It's a beautiful sounding language.

      Delete
    4. Elantris has a slow first half (as did the first Mistborn, in my opinion). The second half, especially the last sixth, is amazing though.

      Delete
    5. All right, perhaps I shall get up my courage and forge through it sometime. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!