Thursday, September 22, 2016

A Tolkien Blog Partaaaaay




Happy Bilbo and Frodo's birthday, everyone! I should be doing schoolwork right now but it is very important to get this post out on the actual date, right? Riiiiight.

Anyway, thanks to Hamlette at The Edge of the Precipice, I'm participating in my second-ever blog tag...and it's Tolkien-themed and features a little green hobbit door, which is fantastic.


1.  How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read?

Well, if you count The Lord of the Rings as one book, as it was originally intended, I've read three. The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Children of Hurin. I'm obviously not the greatest Tolkien fan because I started The Silmarillion and could not for the life of me forge my way through it. What got me through LotR were the vivid descriptions and amazing character moments, which aren't in  The Silmarillion, although I'm sure some argue otherwise.

Also, if you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and scratch The Children of Hurin off your list. It's super depressing.  :P

2.  Have you seen any movies based on them?

Yep. Peter Jackson rules. The original LotR film trilogy is ridiculously amazing, and The Return of the King is my favorite movie of all time. I am convinced that George Lucas secretly made the Hobbit prequels and advertised them as Peter Jackson's films as a twisted act of vengeance for his rise to popularity. 

Haha, just kidding! You prequel fans can put those axes down now. The Hobbit movies were ok, just not as good as LotR. In fact, I am not going to tell you how many times I went and saw An Unexpected Journey. (Hint: approximately as often as my age at the time.  xP ) 

3.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?

Every. Blasted. Moment.

4.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh?

Yes! Mostly involving Mary and Pippin.


...Pippin: "It comes in pints?"
And Merry's face.  xD









"I don't think he knows about Second Breakfast..."

When Gandalf goes in to talk to Denethor and tells Pippin it would be better if he didn't speak at all.

"Wait, where are we going?"

The Ent-draught scene.

Merry and Pippin running into Frodo and Sam when they're being chased by Farmer Maggot.

"That still only counts as one!" 

"We dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances!"

...And many more.  :)

5.  Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself?  If so, what is it?

"Glorfindel the Awesome" was my screenname for a lot of things at one point. If you've read the trilogy, you'll know Glorfindel is the elf who gave Frodo his horse in TFotR. But I also found a part in The Silmarillion about an elf also named Glorfindel who killed a Balrog BY HIMSELF. He died with the Balrog like Gandalf did, but he still did it without magic which is ridiculously cool. My theory is that this Glorfindel is the same one in TFotR, and he was reincarnated in the halls of Mandos, lord of the dead. And he is awesome.

6.  Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters)

Party with: Pippin
Marry: Sam Gamgee
Fight to the death: the Witch-king

7.  When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies?

Wow, it's been a long time. At least a year, mostly because I have trouble getting into the books and because I'm taking a break from the movies so they don't become too familiar. (Also the emotional ups and downs while watching them are too much.  xP  )

8.  Do you consider Gollum to be a villain?  Why or why not?

No. Gollum was originally good as Smeagol, but then the Ring turned him bad. Sure, Gollum probably made some sort of decision to obey the Ring's influence, but he was definitely under the Ring's duress for every one of his evil actions. 

I think Gollum is basically who Frodo would have become if he had kept the Ring for an extended period of time; you can see traces of evil in Frodo coming out the longer he keeps the Ring. Frodo managed to resist its influence at the beginning, whereas Gollum jumped right in and murdered his friend for the Ring at the beginning, but I think there still is a parallel
 9.  How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word?

numinous

(If you don't know what that means, please look it up. I just discovered it recently too, and it's a beautiful word.)

10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.






















“Many that die deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

“You cannot pass,” he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. “I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.”





“What do you fear, lady?” he asked. 

“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”

“And yet you counselled me not to adventure on the road that I had chosen, because it is perilous?”
“So may one counsel another,” she said. “Yet I do not bid you flee from peril, but to ride to battle where your sword may win renown and victory. I would not see a thing that is high and excellent cast away needlessly.”
“Nor would I,” he said. “Therefore I say to you, lady: Stay! For you have no errand to the South.”
“Neither have those others who go with thee. They go only because they would not be parted from thee-because they love thee.” Then she turned and vanished into the night.

"Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam."

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way. 
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it. 
Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what? 
Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise. 
Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad. 
Gandalf: [softly] No... No it isn't. 

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! 















Thanks, Hamlette, for the fangirling opportunity, and y'all have a wonderful last few hours of Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday/the first day of fall!





25 comments:

  1. omgosh omgosh a game!!!! we love games!!!!
    party w: pippin totally. hes kind dumb but those r the kinda of people who r fun at parties.
    marry:uuuuuuum LEGOLAS!!!!!!!!!!!
    fight to the death: ill atke a challenge- smeagol. w r both fiesty and he really need to die. actually i really just want to shoot elrond. hes so evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Elrond. But that and partying with Pippin are pretty much the only thing I agree with in your whole stream of comments. But I guess that's what friends are for. xD

      Delete
    2. you dont want to marry legolas?! why not????

      Delete
    3. Actually it would be pretty epic to marry him, but Sam is sweeter and more realistic, so I dunno, I just fell for him more than for Legolas.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. he obviosly wasnt. and he killed his brother before he became gollem. the ring does work that fast. he knew what he was doing. it had to have come from somewhere. and there is no evidence that he was ever good.

      Delete
    2. Maybe he was just weaker than Frodo so the Ring had more power over him. He seems like he was a decent person in The Hobbit, which said that he used to pick daisies with his grandmother or something like that. Also, he has a dual personalities issue that demonstrates that one side of him is actually a decent person, but I agree with you that he tends to choose to ignore that side of him. I think we basically agree about the facts of the matter, but I'm focusing on the Ring's influence on him whereas you're focusing on his choice to give in to the Ring. Good points.

      Delete
    3. Ummm...that's not what I said. xD

      Delete
    4. lol yeah, thats what i said :P

      Delete
  3. tolkien in one word- draggedoutoverwaytoomanymoviesandthebookswerenteventhatgood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol yeah i havent even read thbooks really...
    i just dont like it cuz the movies got old fast. i just want to make that comment to make u mad ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been forgiven. You may now make comments on this blog again...

      Delete
  5. Yaay! I was rather hoping you'd join. :)

    "Every. Blasted. Moment."-- I love that answer. :D


    Oh my goodness! I love Pippin and Merry. And that gif. "It comes in PINTS? I'm getting one!"

    I'm re-reading the series right now and this time I paid attention to Glorfindel. I can see why you like him(especially with the Silmarillion character), but Beregond is still my favorite minor character. :)

    "the emotional ups and downs" TALK ABOUT IT. One does not simply(or easily) return to normal life after watching Return of the King.

    *gasp* I need to play that on my violin! I've never seen the music for it before. 0.0

    Good quotes, particularly the Eowyn one. :)

    Again, I'm so happy that you decided to participate! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! I'm glad I joined too. It's fun to get involved with a group in the blogosphere (wow, according to wikipedia that's actually a word 0.o), especially when said group has a healthy Tolkien obsession. ;)

      *guiltily googles who Beregond is* Ooooh, that guy. He was pretty cool but I can't remember his personality...why did you pick him in particular?

      That would be a fun piano/violin duet...we should totally do that! (I'm glad I could help you out, but really I just posted it because I thought it'd be cool to have music as a quote, and that was the shortest bit of sheet music I could find. xD)

      Thanks, I'm glad you liked the quotes, although I have a suspicion that you might've liked whatever quotes I picked because...well, it's Tolkien! It's all awesome! ;) Yours were fantastic, too, but I was trying to come up with different ones.

      Delete
    2. Why did I pick Beregond? Because he's kind and friendly, unlike many of the men of Gondor *coughcoughDenethorcoughcough* and I respected his decision to leave his post to warn Gandalf that Denethor was about to kill Faramir, even though that would be severely punished under other circumstances. Plus I just have a thing for liking underrated characters. :D

      *gasps again* We need to do that! That would be so pretty! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh my I just realized that I accidentally replied through my brother's old blogging profile. Oooops. Well, now you know who I am. Sorry about that!

      Delete
    4. Haha that's good to know, I was really confused. xD But I figured something like that must have happened.

      Huh, good point about Beregond. It makes me want to reread the books so I can examine his character more closely.

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty sure that somewhere it says that the Glorfindel in the Silmarillion and the Glorfindel in LOTR are the same guy -- he got sent back, rather like Gandalf, or something. (I've only read the Simarillion once, and it was with the aid of a blog read-along, and so I can't remember now if it was in the notes in my copy that I read that, or if the blogger leading the read-along said it.)

    Thanks for joining the party! I enjoyed reading your answers :-) And you're right, numinous is a great word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'll have to investigate the Glorfindel matter more. It's great to hear that it's not just my own wild theory.

      You're welcome, and thanks for running the whole extravaganza...and for commenting! It's cool to hear from you. :)

      Delete
  7. According to the lotrwikia article about him, Glorfindel's soul was "re-embodied" by the Valar and sent back to Middle Earth with powers nearly as strong as the Maiar, which explains how he was able to hold off a whole lot of ring-wraiths in FOTR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.O Wow, who needs Gandalf when Glorfindel's around? ;D

      Delete
    2. Ooh, and you probably saw this in the article, but it said that Glorfindel was the one who prophesied that "no man" could slay the Witch-King.

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!