Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Little Prince Review



Ahh, The Little Prince. I must admit that I read this book for a discussion a couple years ago and I didn't like it; I thought it was just weird. I've never liked the kind of story that's just bizarre with no apparent point to it *cough* Alice in Wonderland *cough*, but when I watched the new movie adaptation a few weeks ago I realized that maybe there is a point to this wacky little story.

As G.K. Chesterton writes,

I wonder if he tried to do anything
with his hair in the mornings.
The Arts exist...to show forth the glory of God; or, to translate the same thing in terms of our psychology, to awaken and keep alive the sense of wonder in man. The success of any work of art is achieved when we say of any subject, a tree or a cloud or a human character, 'I have seen that a thousand times and I never saw it before.' 

(For you grammarians out there, I used single quotation marks just for GKC. He was British.  :D)




So how does this relate to The Little Prince? Well, first of all I should warn you that this won't be a comprehensive review. I'll be talking about a few little things that stuck out to me, rather than about the overall writing--or screenwriting--of the book and movie.

Actually, I might just end up quoting stuff from it because it's hard to express the points made in this book without using the original words. (Well, it was originally written in French, but you know what I mean.)

Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies. 
 Grown-ups love figures... When you tell them you've made a new friend they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies? " Instead they demand "How old is he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make? " Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.

I could keep copying quotes from Goodreads all day, but if this is the kind of story that's for you, perhaps those excerpts piqued your interest. It seems that the main conflict in the story is between adulthood and childhood--not an issue of age, but an issue of looking at the world. The book (and the film, which is beautifully done too), are steeped in a childlike wonder. The author gives you a new way of looking, at hats, at snakes, at wells, and most of all, at stars. 

G.K. Chesterton would be proud.
Saint-Exupéry looking epic

Plus, check out this the author's bio! According to the back flap of the book, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was a pilot for France in the early 1900s. "A year after the book's publication in 1943, Saint-Exupéry disappeared over the Mediterranean while flying a reconnaissance mission for his French air squadron."

Isn't that intriguing? Now you have to read it.  ;)  And the movie's on Netflix, so if you have it there is no excuse! 

If you feel like commenting, your turn! What do you think of the Little Prince, if you're familiar with it? What do you think about Alice in Wonderland, or the "nonsense story" genre in general? It's okay if you like that sort of thing. I will restrain my indignation. ;)



















1 comment:

  1. oi!!! how dare you dis Alice and wonder land!!!! 8O
    lol no, sadly, im pretty sure he didnt try anything with his hair in the mornings ;P
    for the record, I understood it. =P well... eventually ;P
    hm i dont see how we have too but that wass probably your attempt at jedi style persuassion ;D
    uh, it is more than ok!!!! I understnad wonderland. actually tbh I didint understand it until quite recently and it i dont think it nonsense. it make perfect sense to me. your not supposed to think into it too much is all. its like a dream. its supposed to be like a dream. just dont question it too much and its enjoyable. see what im saying? i would explain it better if i were righting a blog but im not, this is just a comment, its your job to explain things thoroughly :P

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!