Sunday, July 10, 2016

Men in Black Movie Review


Friday night I watched Men in Black, one of my dad's all-time-favorites, for the first time. I figured it would work for my first movie review, so voila!

The story: Men in black suits and shades fight undercover aliens.

Good or bad? Good. I was absorbed in the story the whole way through, but I wasn't too emotionally invested; I just wanted to see what happened to the characters and what crazy turn the plot was going to take next. And there were a lot of laugh-out-loud funny scenes that kept my attention.

The character development was nonexistent, as can be expected from a sci-fi comedy, but there were a couple genuinely touching character moments involving the night sky. Those who have seen it will know what I mean.

The things that made this movie really fly:

1. Will Smith in shades.



2. This part.


3. Tommy Lee Jones. I really liked him in The First Avenger, and in this one he had some great deadpan lines. ("Did anything about that seem strange to you?")

3. How weird the plot and the world building are:

For most of the movie I had very little idea what was going on, or what would happen next. The story dumps the audience in a completely different world where aliens abound, and there are basically no rules on what these aliens can do or look like, or what weapons can be used against them. The viewer is along for the ride, seeing the story from the eyes of Will Smith's character, who for most of the story has no idea what is going on either.

The magic ends at the fight at the end of the movie, which is fairly predictable. But that seems to be the problem with every sci fi movie, so I suppose that's no longer a genuine grievance.

Content: I had tried to watch MIB several years ago but back then I wasn't as accustomed to language in movies so I started blushing like crazy before we even got to Will Smith's introduction scene, and we turned it off. This time, however, having watched things like The King's Speech, I was a little more prepared for the salty language. There's a ton of it, though. I was cringing internally for quite a few of the scenes because there was just so much unnecessary cussing. Sometimes I want to walk up to script writers and say,


By the way, when I looked up that picture I found a thing of beauty which I felt compelled to share:



Moving on…there are also a few suggestive comments, an unnecessary but funny offscreen childbirth, and the expected alien gore, including a morgue scene.

Favorite lines: "No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home."

"Meet the twins, *complicated noise* and Bob."

Would I recommend it? Maybe not, depending on how much language you think movies should have in them. But if you're looking for a relatively absorbing film with a decent script, good acting and some oddball humor, sure.

1 comment:

  1. I love that movie! U have to watch 3 with me, it's the best. Watch 2 by yourself, I don't like it. :p Hate to break it to you but I wasn't bothered by the language, most people aren't these days. :/
    *gasp* Steeeeeeve!!♡♡ I'm going to keep that picture on hand.

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!