Friday, July 1, 2016

On Saints, Disney, and Pope Francis

Today's the feast of St. Junipero Serra!!! *cue streamers and confetti*

I've got to admit that I know barely anything about today's saint, but from what I've heard he sounds like a cool guy. In the 1700s St. Junipero Serra founded a lot of missions for Native Americans, particularly in California (he's called the "Apostle of California"). That's pretty neat in itself, but what really sticks out to me is something that Pope Francis wrote about him:

"Father Serra had a motto, which inspired his life and work, a saying he lived his life by: Siempre adelante! Keep moving forward! For him, this was the way to continue experiencing the joy of the Gospel, to keep his heart from growing numb, from being anesthetized."

Being the shameless animated movie lover that I am, when I read "keep moving forward" a choir began enthusiastically singing in my head and my mind's eye very helpfully showed me this:


Meet the Robinsons, anyone? All right, if you haven't seen it, you should watch it. It's hilarious, and highly motivational. 

Anyway, I think both Disney and Pope Francis are definitely right. I know from experience that when I, for one, dwell on the awkwardness of the past, it becomes more difficult for me to be joyful and to connect with other people, and to realize how amazing life really is.  My heart becomes "numb," as Pope Francis put it.

Here's to a new month, a new day, and…er…an un-numb heart!

Siempre adelante!



9 comments:

  1. Father is a special saint for my family too...and I also live in CA so....yeah
    anyways..Meet the Robinsons is one of my favorite movies ever too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cecilia! It's so cool to see you on here!!! I feel like I sort of know you from mutual friendships, but obviously we haven't actually communicated much. Anyway, that's awesome that you have those connections with St. Junipero Serra. Happy feast day. And at long last I've found another Meet the Robinsons fan! *high five* :D

      Delete
  2. Hi guys!!����������������������

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chubby monkey. Code: Bacon Florida boom haha. You know what I'm say8ng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MJ! So glad you could join us. Thanks for adding a sense of sophistication to the conversation. ;P

      Delete
  4. Your welcome. I'm so mature and elegant. I make every conversation look like 12th century england. I don't even know what I'm talking about. I did the anonymous comment, I'm pretty sure your wouldn't have approved it if the emojis were visible. Unfortunately they aren't showing up. Eh. And why r u calling me mj? U know my name!it's watson! Jk. OK guys I don't really have anything to say I'm just rambling cuz I'm bored. Cya later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great point about the importance of moving on. I often find myself stuck in the rut of discouraging past occurrences rather than living in the present opportunities.

    Enjoy the rest of July! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oi +Cecilia Huckins , ya left Anna hanging w the high five! Wait u can't tag people on this can u... oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!