Sunday, April 16, 2017

Did You Miss Me? Here, Let Me Throw Music At You



It's good to be back.

That being said, suspending technology use during Lent must have been divinely inspired because it was exactly what I needed. Now my attention span is slightly longer than that of a caffeinated goldfish, my to-be-read list has been growing smaller and larger in spurts, as all healthy TBR lists do, and I have realized that my powers of procrastination are such that I can spend a day only checking email and chats and still get nothing done.

It sounds weird, but everything has a new excitement to it. Playing the ukulele or guitar or cello or piano is more fulfilling than it was when I could easily look up YouTube covers instead. Talking to people is more invigorating because it's a way to hear news and someone's unique perspective, and even schoolwork is more interesting because heck, even if it's boring information it's information.

Anyway, yesterday I was practicing a Mumford and Sons song on the guitar (surprise) and I started thinking about how it related to Easter, and I figured that might be an interesting thing to explore in an Easter post. So if you don't like Mumford and Sons or cheesy theological ramblings, feel free to leave and go eat some jelly beans. ;)

It's called "The Cave."

*cue cheers from Mumford and Sons fans*

Have a listen/watch:



(This is my vision of London, by the way: bookshops, old piano tuners, and Marcus Mumford crooning/screaming into a microphone.)

Ah, the symbolism.

First off, the references to the cave, which I've heard is supposed to represent Plato's allegory of the cave, but it also works for the cave that Jesus was buried in.

Second, the redemptive lyrics that, as I was thinking about them, could relate to Jesus or to us. The first-person narrator has heroic elements to him, but he is also a sinner in need of redemption. Maybe the chorus could be seen as a dialogue between Jesus and the narrator:

Jesus: "I will hold on hope and I won't let you choke on the noose around your neck."

Narrator: "And I'll find strength in pain and I will change my ways; I'll know my name as it's called again.

I love the "noose around your neck" line because of the mercy implied there. We've tied the noose around our necks by rejecting God's love, but God reaches down in his mercy and, just when we've kicked the box from under our feet, lifts us up. He doesn't let us choke on the evil that we've chosen to get lost in. Instead he saves us with his passion and death...and resurrection.

And when we celebrate the resurrection, it's not enough for us to chill and do nothing. We need to respond to God's love by changing our ways, and even when we fall again, finding strength to keep going, especially when it is painful.

Which brings me to what struck me this Holy Week as the coolest part of the Easter mystery: "I'll find strength in pain" is not only our line, but also Jesus' line. Yes, Jesus was perfect in his divinity, but he was also human and he didn't want to go through the excruciating torture that he went through for us. But he found strength even in his pain, and he prayed that his Father's will be done.

So when we mess up hugely, which I will likely do soon, we can find comfort in the fact that Jesus is right there in the pain and he lifts us up.

Happy Easter.


2 comments:

  1. You're back!!!

    "Now my attention span is slightly longer than that of a caffeinated goldfish..."-- haha, that's good. But I know what you mean-- the internet is scary like that. 0.0

    I did miss you and thank you for throwing music at me. :) That was really catchy actually. I added it to my "Good Tunes" playlist on Spotify.

    And I love all symbolism you got out of it. It's such fun to analyze song lyrics. :)

    Enjoy your triumphant return to the internet sphere. And happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

      I'm glad you liked the song! It's one of my favorites--good for getting pumped up. Happy Easter! Christ is risen!!!

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!