Saturday, October 8, 2016

Random Things #3: NaNoWriMo and Returning Home

Those who are longtime acquaintances know that I have the Sherlockian habit of forgetting to tell people, even the friends I see every day, about little things such as going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. I do, however, remember the important things, such as release dates for new Brandon Sanderson books, or old songs that I just discovered on YouTube and that I think are the coolest things ever.  :P

Speaking of songs on YouTube, have you heard of Steve Moakler? The youth minister at my parish
(who is awesome, by the way) looooves his music, and because of her I just recently discovered his
song "Slo Mo." It's hilarious, and so chill! I can't say anything about the rest of his music because I've only listened to a few songs, but "Slo Mo" is clean and cute. Hehe, cute like the music artist...in this picture, doesn't he look like a mixture between Orlando Bloom and Jordan Taylor (for those who watch Blimey Cow)?

Oh yeah, I was talking about vacation. Well, Mom, Dad, and I were just on vacation to Hawaii and it was fantastic. Swimming in the surf, boogie boarding, teasing my dad about how much I love Ed Sheeran (because Dad can't stand him), practicing the ukulele and actually going to a ukulele festival (!), eating lots of pizza, hanging out with my sister-in-law who joined us for a few days, watching Lilo and Stitch and stranger sci fi films, sleeping in (sometimes), reading, racing for quarters at the bottom of the pool, working on my novel for NaNoWriMo...it was tiring but enjoyable.

For those who haven't heard of NaNoWriMo, it stands for National Novel Writing Month and it's a celebration in which maniacs challenge other maniacs to write a 50,000 word novel (novella?) all in the month of November. The official website lets participants log word count progress and win badges on the way to the finish. It sounds ridiculous, but this competition has actually produced rough drafts for published novels such as Cinder, the first book in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles.

So I, being another maniac, have decided to take up the challenge. This decision was perhaps aided by the fact that I'm homeschooled so I'm creating my own writing program this year. Guess what I have scheduled for the whole month of November!  :P



Anyway, I'm allowed to plan as much as I want as long as I don't actually start writing the book. So far my plot consists of a few hastily scrawled notes in a planner purchased at a Hawaiian ABC store, and it involves dragons, pirates who zealously worship said dragons, villagers, and a super cool dragon hunter. I'm not sure how he's going to be super cool, but he will be. Oh yeah, and an old guy who sells explosives. In short:

12% is optimistic.  xP

If I have time in November I'll give you a few updates on how the story's going. I've dabbled in short stories, but I've never endeavored to formally plan something this long and actually finish it. Hopefully it works out between school and work.

Also, my parents generously gave me a ukulele for my birthday so it's one of my favorite instruments now, as you may have guessed from the Hawaii description. It's much easier to play than the guitar, but there are still a ton of possibilities for songs. Heck, I started playing "Hotel California" on it! The intro is a lot of fun.

In Hawaii Dad and I sang Will Smith's "Men in Black" rap while I played the chords on the uke. It was fantastic. I tried doing the rap part, which was not the most beautiful and I ended up dissolving into giggles, but it was a good time. We're thinking of starting an informal YouTube channel where we can post random covers, and our band name will be the Bad Cover Bandits. I'll keep you posted on that.  xD

That's what's going on right now, although I'm pretty sure I must have forgotten something important like an alien invasion. Ah well, you'll find stuff like that on Facebook when it becomes a problem.

P.S. I just received Hamlette's gorgeous bookmark from the Tolkien Party giveaway! Thanks again, Hamlette! I'll have to post a few action photos later.   :)

Have you tried NaNoWriMo before, or heard horror stories about it? Is writing something you enjoy? Bonus question: what's your favorite song on the ukulele? 















5 comments:

  1. I suspected something of this nature during your internet absence. xD But I'm glad you and your posts are back now. :)

    Wow. All this music I need to listen to. ;) And yeah, he *does* look a bit like Orlando Bloom and Jordan Taylor.

    Sounds like you had a great vacation. I mean, piiiiza. ;)

    Good luck on NaNoWriMo! I decided to opt out this year, but maybe next year. That's nice that you can integrate it into your school. My mom was suggesting that for my senior year.

    Yay! That bookmark looked so pretty.

    As for your questions: 1). yes and somewhat, 2). mostly, 3). my friend plays the lava song from the beginning of Inside Out on her ukelele and it's reallyyy pretty. Have you tried it?

    *goes to check Facebook for news of alien invasions* (Just in case, you know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to be back. :)

      You should totally incorporate NaNoWriMo into your senior year!!! There are a lot of other writing resources out there that you can use in your studies, too. For example, Brandon Sanderson has an amazing writing class that I used for the first part of this year. In case you're interested, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPdJIpbJfgiR-pZysJ7nM9TjiJ-X-MH1Q

      (I wouldn't recommend the talks from a guest speaker about humor because they are a little crude, but I'm pretty sure the ones with Brandon Sanderson himself are clean.)

      Ah yes, we're bookmark buddies! They're so beautiful. *caresses mine*

      Ooh, what kind of horror stories have you heard? Don't break it to me softly; I might as well hear the worst!

      Yes, I have tried the Lava song, and it's a lot of fun to play. It's such a cute short film!

      Yep, always be on the lookout. ;)


      Delete
    2. Well, not horror stories so much as just general exhaustion. It sounds intense! Maybe you'll have your own horror story by the end of November. (Sorry, that's so pessimistic. xD)

      Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. yess!!! start a utube channel!!!! i can contribute violin to bad cover bandits if ud like XP ive been making covers alot. my most recent is the start trek theme. daaa du du du duda daaaaaaaa. daaaaa du du dua do daaaaaa. maybe we can through in a monk skit w your theme cover eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome. I'll let you know if there's a song we're doing that would work well with violin, but most of the time they're weird country/rock songs so I'm not sure...

      Ooh, that Star Trek theme is epic. That's my favorite part of the movies, when they start playing it super loud.

      That Monk skit must happen!!!

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!