Sunday, August 21, 2016

Back-to-school something-or-other


That's the reaction of most of my friends to the beginning of another school year, but personally I'm always super excited until one or two days into the school week, and then I realize that this school year is just as hard as the previous ones if not harder. So I basically have the same reaction of everyone else, just delayed.

Sorry, I really don't know where to go with this because I just wanted to get a post out for the beginning of school, and I'm super tired right now...

Oh yeah, I should talk about procrastination. That's the biggest problem I have with homeschooling--after I've been doing math for five minutes I usually end up thinking "Oh, I should just go check my email for a sec..." and I end up going on YouTube, Pinterest, and essentially everything except my email.

Then the vicious cycle repeats.

This being my final year of high school, I want to use it to defeat the habit of procrastination and to get used to controlling my own schedule. So I taped these slides on the window by my desk (from a guy who gave a TED talk on procrastination--highly recommended, but I'm too tired to add a link--you can find it):














It's a good point, because when I'm procrastinating whatever I end up doing tends to be pointless and contaminated by feelings of dread and guilt. It really makes no sense.

So yeah, on that happy note, have an amazing school year! Or if you're not in school, have an amazing rest of 2016 because that's how normal people count their years.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go faceplant on my bed.

Oh, and if you have any thoughts on school, procrastination, or hedgehogs, feel free to comment!




6 comments:

  1. "So it begins." Quite right! But like you, I'm a little more excited over the prospect than Theoden seems to be. xD

    Ahhh, that tricky procrastination. It's probably my worst enemy right now. ;) And it's totally true that my methods of procrastinating are usually unproductive and boring.

    My best wishes for your last year of high school and tackling procrastination!

    (aww, hedgehogs :D)

    Off to find that TED video now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll do my best...that is, after I check my email and watch YouTube, etc. ;) Have a productive school year too!

      Enjoy the video! I'm awake enough now to provide the link, so if you haven't found it yet it's right here:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU

      Delete
    2. Well that was interesting. And definitely entertaining too!

      I'll have to remember to battle the instant gratification monkey this school year. xD

      Have you seen the TED video about introverts? It's pretty cool. If you're interested, here's the link-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

      Delete
    3. Yay, I'm glad you liked the talk. I thought it was pretty funny. :)

      Thanks, I'll have to check that video out! (I think one time I watched the beginning but then moved on to something else.)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Just wow.lols.
    Thoughts on school... don't remind me!
    Procrastination, yes. Don't ever under any circumstance, do today what u can do tomorrow. Follow that and ull go far ;)
    Hedgehogs. That 1 looks like Martin freeman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the advice, M.J. ;)
      I was thinking about Martin Freeman when I chose the gif. xD

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!