Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Mr. Holmes Review


Ok, you got me. I'm writing this review just so I can cover my blog with pictures of this movie's gorgeous scenery and costumery. That said, I'll still give you my opinion.  ;)

The story: An aging Sherlock Holmes seeks to unravel a mystery in his past while he struggles with the fear of death and loneliness.

Good or bad? Really good. The gem of this film is the acting. If you thought Ian McKellan was good in LoTR, you should watch this movie because he blows his Gandalf performance out of the water.
And isn't this makeup amazing?
The other actors (basically only three other main characters), are all marvelous too.

Also, the dialogue was brilliant:

"There seems to be an outbreak of mortality."
"When you're a detective, and a man comes to see you, it's usually about his wife."
And the plot was unpredictable (at least for me as a relatively inexperienced film connoisseur). I can't recall a time that I knew where the story was going, so that made it interesting and more realistic.

Speaking of realism, Mr. Holmes doesn't brush Sherlock's "high-functioning sociopath"ness to the side; rather, it examines it.

I like this because the BBC show (the only Sherlock adaptation I've seen--sorry) seems to mainly make light of the detective's antisocial tendencies rather than to address them. (I've only seen 3 episodes, though, so if any Sherlockians are reading feel free to correct me). There are some times when this problem is addressed, but it is all too easy to brush it off because…well…he's Benedict Cumberbatch! His sociopathness is kind of eaten up in his youthful spirit and his ridiculously amazing acting abilities and his gorgeous voice and...and this gif, and...














I'm getting a bit distracted.

The point is that this film, focusing on an older, more broken Sherlock, puts a more tragic light on his social difficulties--a view of him that I think is much more realistic and much easier to identify with.

I highly recommend that you watch it, and I'd love to hear your opinion!

Whoops, wrong Mr. Holmes. How silly of me.     ;)








8 comments:

  1. You watched it! You may not remember, but I recommended it to you awhile ago.

    It is pretty, isn't it? Especially the music, in my opinion.

    Since watching it, I've since come to not like it as much, partially because I couldn't quite wrap my head around the plot, but I agree it has its merits. :D

    Haha, yeah...that's why I don't think I'd really get into Sherlock...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember! You said it was one of your favorite movies, if I remember correctly, so I was excited to finally watch it. :)

      It's gorgeous! The train scene at the beginning is especially amazing for both scenery and music.

      I was kind of confused by the plot, too, so I could see how that could get annoying.

      And yeah, I wouldn't recommend Sherlock for that reason and for content issues. : /

      Delete
  2. I like the sherlock gif. Use my Chris Evans gifs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. And I'm just waiting for the perfect moment. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan since I was about 13, and I've seen a lot of film versions, good and bad (Sherlock is among the good, though it has its less-good moments). I think Mr. Holmes is one of the most unique, since it focuses on him in his aged years, long after the canon stories end. Sir Ian was, of course, a delight. And I loved that the actor playing Holmes in the movie that Mr. Holmes goes to see was none other than Nicholas Rowe, who starred in The Young Sherlock Holmes (also very, very good) -- that was a delightful touch for Holmesian film buffs :-)

    I almost didn't watch this because the book it's based on, A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin, depressed me quiet thoroughly. But a friend assured me that the movie ends differently than the book, so I gave it a shot, and I'm so glad I did. Not a movie I'm going to run out and buy a copy of, but one I know I'll get from the library once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's neat to know that there's so much history in the Sherlock Holmes community (or may I say fandom?). Do you have a favorite Holmesian adaptation?

      Is A Slight Trick of the Mind good, despite the depressing ending? It sounds like it could be an interesting read.

      Delete
    2. The Granada TV series that stars Jeremy Brett is my absolute favorite rendition of Sherlock Holmes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

      I reviewed A Slight Trick of the Mind here, on my book blog, if you want to know more of what I thought about it. I found it thoroughly depressing, not just the ending, but it was an interesting read, and I can see how some people might enjoy it. You may be one of them, never know!

      Delete
    3. I certainly got a bit of a depressed vibe from your review. ;) I might try reading it anyway, see what happens.

      Ooh, and I'll have to try out that Jeremy Bratt series too! Thanks for the recommendations. :)

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!