Tuesday, August 16, 2016

In Which I Rant about a Pinterest Post



So, I was sitting in my computer chair (probably in my "comfort" posture, which is when one leg is tucked in with the knee leaning up against the armrest--my parents think I'm crazy for this and for many other reasons) and browsing Pinterest when this showed up.


I don't know who Elizabet(h?) Scott is, but in case she reads this blog post, I'm sorry, Elizabet(h?). I just want to correct this little thing here and I'm sure you're a cool person, it's just that this quote makes my blood pressure rise every time I see it.

Seriously, I saw this Pin and was nodding happily with the first sentence but then when I read the rest of it I was so upset that I saved it and thought, "I NEED to write a blog post about this." So here's my rant.

No, I wasn't just annoyed by the incomplete quotation marks. What concerned me was the philosophy behind the quote: namely, that fiction is way more interesting than real life, and therefore it's better to immerse yourself in fiction than to immerse yourself in your life.

This has always been one of my greatest temptations. When I discovered The Hobbit for the first time I read it over and over, trying to ignore the outside world as much as possible.

Family: 
       
How about a card game?

Me:

I could never resist a world where anything could happen, where there were dwarves and courage and enchantments.

If you think about it though, the problem with living in fiction is that nothing can happen. 

Really, immersing myself in fiction to fulfill my desire for adventure was like trying to satisfy my desire for meat by eating tofu (no offense, vegetarians). The real adventure was right in front of my face, if I would just look up from my book's latest cliffhanger.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with fiction, I just think it's important to keep in mind...well, Gandalf (ironically) says it better: 


I like to think that when you and I were born that was God's way of saying, "I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure." 

The kind of adventure in which we can make a difference, in which we're not relegated to the sidelines watching other people make decisions in the world of a book or movie. The kind of adventure in which every action matters, in which every decision leads us closer to Him who loved us into existence, or further away.

Let's see the literary genres beat that.

(I can't resist leaving you with Stephen Curtis Chapman's Home." Take it away, Stephen!)



5 comments:

  1. Melon!!! 1st comment, boom baby!
    OK let me add my book/life reasoning.... there is a reason books seem more exciting, that's the whole point. But look at your life... it may seen boring now but books omit the boring parts in between the adventures. Take the highlights of you life, put them together, and what have u got? BibitybopityBOO!! Ahem, I mean a reality just as exciting as your favorite novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I really like that way of thinking about it. (Sorry, I forgot to put it in as you could see. xP)

      Delete
  2. There's something off about Elizabet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those incomplete quotation marks ARE annoying. :D But the message is too!

    I agree that it's important to remember that real life will always be more important, if not always more interesting than fiction. Also, the sort of people who only live to read books, watch movies, and be otherwise uninvolved in the real world probably won't have a very interesting life! :D

    Good post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, that's a good point that fiction can sometimes be more interesting than real life. I'm glad you liked the post! Thanks for your feedback. :)

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!