Monday, October 2, 2017

Tolkien Blog Party Tag

Thanks to the lovely Hamlette, each year we geeks have a chance to kick back, pour a cup of tea, and remember that The Lord of the Rings still exists and it is awesome. Even if we publish the tag late because we forgot about it until now.

1. How long have you been a Tolkien fan?

Ever since I read The Hobbit at the age of eight or so. 

2. Has your love of Middle-earth affected your life?

*goes to type, then pauses and frowns* 

Well, it's definitely influenced my reading life. As soon as I read The Hobbit I developed an appetite for sci-fi/fantasy, and books in this genre have greatly influenced the way I think about the world. These include Carl Sagan's Contact, Antoine St. Expert's The Little Prince, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, and many others. Also, if I hadn't been introduced to this genre I would never have gotten into Brandon Sanderson's online writing lessons and I would have never met my friend Meredith, who got me into blogging, and I would be quite a different person than I was before and I wouldn't be here answering these questions. 

So yes.

3. If you had to take the One Ring to Mordor, which character would you choose for your sole companion?


Sam. Because he is adorable and he would carry me the whole way.

4. Which is scarier, Shelob or the Balrog?


Definitely Shelob, at least in the way they are presented in the books/movies. I've never thought big monsters were that scary; it's the little, petty, crawly, claustrophobic ones like Shelob that give me the creeps.

5. Which two towers do you think Tolkien was referring to in the title The Two Towers?  (i.e. Orthanc, Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, or Minas Tirith)

No idea. My head hurts.


6. Whose wardrobe would you like to have?

Eowyn. Her gowns are so soft and flowy, especially this one:
























I also want whatever this warm, fuzzy thing is:
















I love that she is a fierce, driven warrior who is also not above cuddling with a blanket on a duvet.

7. What do you think an Ent Draught would taste like?

Strong, leafy tea with a beer-like aftertaste.

8. Where in Middle-earth would you like to live?

The Shire, because anywhere else would be way too stressful. I am Sam at heart. xD

9. Do you have any Tolkien-related opinions that surprise other people?

I can't stand The Silmarillion and I enjoy the movies more than the books because the books are just so dang hard to read. Also I think the songs from the books are really annoying and unnecessary. And Tolkien needs to work on his pacing. 

*whispers* Sorry, everyone.


10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotations from the books or movies.

I've got way more than ten, but for the sake of time I'll just refer you to my reply from last year. This is my idea of time management. 

*pauses to reconsider my life decisions*

Let's go deep in this comments section, comrade: Has your love for Middle-Earth affected your life?

4 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm glad reading Lord of the Rings brought you to meet me. And blogging. :D

    "Because he is adorable and he would carry me the whole way." Hahaha.

    Okay, but #5 confuses me. I've wondered before but haven't even tried to decide because there's too many towers and IT'S CONFUSING. ;D

    So I get all of your unpopular opinions...*except* the songs are so beautiful, aren't they? (It's okay, they tire me too)

    Well...it's helped me to meet friends(like you) and impressed on me the incredible power of literature and storytelling which has gotten me into other books and writing and blogging and film criticism and yeah, I'd say it's been pretty influential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Reading fiction should not require that much thought. xD

      True, true--the songs are pretty. I have a soft spot for Sam's song at Cirith Ungol now that I think about it...because, well, Sam. <3

      I'm glad! Crazy how much the people we communicate with and the books we read can change us so much.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Wow, that was a lot of much's. I shouldn't type after midnight. xD

      Delete
  2. Ouch!!! :))) You have pretty scathing opinions for someone who has a Lord of the Rings picture in her header!!! I don't mind though - I used to find the books suuuuuper dry and I know that a LOT of people find them to be so. The Silmarillion was difficult, but I enjoyed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Speak, friend, and comment!