Thursday, May 25, 2017

Robin Hood Week Tag



Thanks to Olivia at Meanwhile, In Rivendell..., I've gotten back from a two-week trip (and consequent internet break) just in time to catch the second half of Robin Hood Week. Time to wax nostalgic about good-looking men beating each other up. Here goes the tag:

What was your first exposure to Robin Hood?


The animated Disney movie, one of those movies that I don't remember watching for the first time because it was so long ago and I watched it so many times. On VHS, of course.


On a scale of 1 to 10, how big a fan are you?


5? I'm into it more than the average person, and I love the swashbuckling idea of a bunch of guys partying and sneaking around and stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. But I haven't seen every version, and I read the book so long ago that I don't remember it very well. So I'm not a die-hard fan, just like I'm not a die-hard fan of Tolkien because I could never make it through The Silmarillion. *hides*


How many versions and spin-offs of the legend have you experienced?


Five. The Disney version, Prince of Thieves, and the BBC version *blissful nostalgic sigh*. Ah yes, and the original book. I read it when I was eight or so and I loved the ending. It was depressing but epic and very, very fitting.


And Leverage, if that counts...? I've only watched the first few episodes but it's growing on me.


What is your favorite version of Robin Hood (can be book, movie, TV series, anything)?


The BBC show, if you haven't guessed. It's cheesy and my parents claim that the acting is "worse than Merlin," which to them means a lot. But it's nostalgic for me because I watched it a couple years ago, and the visuals are gorgeous, and the cheesiness is the over-the-top kind  that I love in Pirates of the Caribbean and Merlin.


Prince of Thieves gets second place, if only for Alan Rickman:






Are you one of the lads? (Meaning, have you watched/are you a fan of the BBC show?)


Are Twinkies delicious?


Who is your favorite Merry Man?


Allan in the BBC version. His character arc is painful but rich, and he is rather good-looking. Not that that matters, of course. Hehe.


And the fact that he fits my conflicted-Flynn Rider-type crush complex doesn't hurt.



"I'm not being funny, but..."


Do you have a favorite portrayal of Lady Marian?


Lucy Griffith in, of course, the BBC version. She's not my favorite actress but she's pretty and has beautiful costumes, and Robin cares about her which makes me care. And she's more of a get-up-and-go character than the other Lady Marians I have seen portrayed.


Do you have any interest in or aptitude at archery?


Interest, yes--if I can play with Hawkeye's exploding arrows. *evil grin* As for aptitude, I'd rather not talk about that, thank you very much.


Fact or fiction -- which do you think? 


Huh, this question is the first time I've ever thought about Robin Hood being real--it was always just a legend to me. I think it's better that way because I'm sure the real-life version would have been a lot more grimy and frightening and sweaty and slow-moving and morally conflicting than the story version.


Do you think Robin Hood has been "done to death," or are there still new twists that can be found?


A sci-fi Robin Hood would be cool, like what Marissa Meyer did with fairy tales in the Lunar Chronicles.


Something this awesome can never be done to death.




2 comments:

  1. What fun answers, Art3mis! Thanks ever so much for the tag. :)

    "On VHS, of course." << YAAAAASSSS. One of my dogs actually chewed up the case of our copy pretty badly, but we still have it. We just can't see the cover picture any more. XD

    Hmm, I agree the BBC show is cheesy, but I think I'd have to defend the acting -- I think the acting is good; the cheesiness mainly comes from the script. But that's just me. ;) (Also, I haven't watched Merlin, partially because I started hearing about it after finishing the BBC show, and I was thinking, "I can't handle another emotionally damaging show right now!" Haha. ;)

    Prince of Thieves! I'm not sure if you saw it or not, but I wrote a review of that for this week (#shamelessplug, haha). I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. :) And Alan Rickman's Sheriff was really good! Hahaha, the spoon line . . . I loved how they waited a couple scenes before bringing it back in with Guy saying, "Why a spoon, cousin...?" XD I also loved, "And cancel Christmas!" :D

    You've seen part of Leverage?! That's one of my favoritest shows!! :)

    Aw, shucks, one doesn't have to make it through The Silmarillion to be a hardcore fan of Tolkien, does one?? (I read it, but skimmed several times. :-P)

    "Are Twinkies delicious?" << I LIKE THIS KID. ;)

    Allan <3 <3 <3

    Hmm, good answer to the "Fact or fiction" question. I hadn't thought of some of that.

    Thanks again for the answers! They were lots of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I hadn't thought of the script being a factor. I'll have to go back and try to identify the source of the cheesiness. Which gives me an excuse to rewatch it, so thanks!

      Good choice on postponing Merlin, by the way. The first few seasons are rather lighthearted but the last few ripped my heart out and stomped on it.

      I'll check out your Prince of Thieves review, thanks! I also love how ridiculously drawn-out the sheriff's death scene is.

      YES, I've seen probably six episodes or so of Leverage so far. It's sweet with the perfect amount of fight scenes and explosions, and the characters are growing on me. I'm watching it with my mom and it's fun to make fun of the over-the-top stuff with her, like the part when Parker stabs the arms dealer with a fork at the party. xD

      All right, I suppose the levels of Tolkien fans are all relative. To a normal person I would be a huge nerd, so maybe it's just places like the blogging community that make me feel like an average fan. xD Good for you though, making it through! That would be a good summer goal, hm...

      Haha, thanks. It depends on whether Twinkies are truly delicious or not though. ;)

      Thanks for the tag! And for the party! It's been fun to respond to the questions and to see yours and everyone else's perspectives on Robin Hood.

      Delete

Speak, friend, and comment!